Wednesday, January 1, 2020

MOC: ROTJ Emperor arrives on Death Star 2 (Part 1)

LEGO Star Wars started just over 20 years in May 1999, timed with the Prequel Trilogy film release. To celebrate this event, I made a new LEGO "rather big" MOC!

This is technically my second attempt at rebuilding one of my all-time favourite scenes from Star Wars: Return of Jedi where Emperor Palpatine arrives to a Chinese Army-like display of power

Until recently, I thought this was an epic set like Ben-Hur (which used 15,000 extras). Unfortunately this was just an amazingly painted backdrop and camera work. This made finding different viewing angles almost impossible. However I did my best, and this is what I came up with:

(Card-Table Sized LEGO Death Star Hanger Bay)

This was the closest I could get to the original scene:
(Matching Movie Screen with Royal Guard and Emperor)

This build came together in about a week, and:



(Birds-Eye of all 391 LEGO minifigs)

(My favourite Snowtroopers.)


(Peering over the shoulder of Stormtroopers)

I did not already have a T4a Lamda-Class Shuttle, so I heavily modified Sentinel-Class Shuttle I had. Given more time, I would consider building this from scratch. I tried to get the wings as accurately as I could.

(T4a Lambda-class Shuttle)
It took a couple of tried, but the back wall is about 26x blocks high and made of 8-panels that are 12 studs wide. The wall structure itself is a surprising 4,000+ pieces (.
(Hangar wall detail)
For those that have never tried, large scale LEGO models take time, space and money (aka LEGO pieces). I am just *rough* estimating that this is about 11,000 pieces. The biggest LEGO set EVER was the UCS Millennium Falcon (75192) and it only had 7429 peices and 8 minifigs. Definitely more complex and intricate, but I just wanted to contrast how big this LEGO build was and how more amazing some of the even bigger MOCs are, 200,000 piece Rivendell and 150,000 piece Helm's Deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

20 years of LEGO Star Wars

It is  (probably more than) a tiny bit late, but in 2019, LEGO released a set of 20th Anniversary Star Wars sets ( https://brickset.com/sets...